Thursday, October 13, 2011

Madame Bovary - Really?

My faith in women was soundly shattered last night.

I recently read Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary, and it was one of the worst reads ever. It was actually quite expertly written, but I seriously couldn't stand the main character. About every other page I was begging for someone to slap her, that is how vapid, silly, and just a stupid girl I found her to be. Not just now and then, no, All The Time.

So I was thinking: "Well, this Gustave Flaubert obviously has to be some kind of character who either hates women with a fiery passion or some kind of recluse who hasn't met a proper woman in his entire life."
That's basically how I justified the horribleness (yes it's a word) of the main character (Madame Bovary, BTW, but I guess that's obvious)

Now, last night, Eric Larden was couch surfing at my place. Was great fun, we jammed a bit together (He is a much better guitarist then me, but we still managed some fun tunes) and we had plenty to talk about.

However, at one point he notices Madame Bovary lying around my apartment somewhere and he mentions that a female friend of him had recommended it to him. I mention that I absolutely hated it and why. (How vapid and silly the main character is.) At this point he starts laughing.

Why? The reason his friend had recommended the book was, according to her, it was surprising that even though written by a male author, the depiction of the woman was spot on.

Please god no. *sadface*

No comments:

Post a Comment