Friday, April 29, 2011

Rollcall - Name the webapp

Hey all!

So I've been at hackcamp since wednesday and we presented our hacks yesterday. Now I did work with my colleagues on hacking the bike trainer into a game controller, but I got quickly distracted by my own little idea...

The Bike Controller - Photo by Jessica Meats

The challenge
Now back to my own little project. I've personally dabbled in writing songs over the past, sometimes more successful than other times and always fun. However, I was on twitter the other day when I realized that every second, thousands of people are actually writing lines of text. And I was wondering, if you combine those intelligently, you could basically generate song lyrics about anything!

So that became my personal hack for over the weekend, and the preliminary app should be online here: http://tweetusmerula.appspot.com/

I realize that right now it only works rarely (working on that) and the rhyming/matching/story algorithms are not exactly intelligent yet, but it does generate fun songs now and then and I will get around to fixing all these problems.

The bigger problem I have right now though, is the name. I originally wanted to call it "songbird", but that apparently is some kind of mp3 player. Than I tried several others, but they all didn't fit or were very taken. Even "Merula" was taken (Which I thought of since the blackbird is the most common and apparently in The Netherlands the most popular songbirds), so that's how I ended up with Tweetus Merula. Not exactly catchy.

So there's my challenge! The one who will help me find the perfect name for my lyrics-from-twitter-generating-webapp will get an awesome prize  from me! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment